Monday, January 18, 2010

And Still We Rise Week 2

Miesha's talent is perseverance. I never thought about what my talent is. I came to a conclusion that my talent is tolerance. I think I am able to accept a lot of things and just try to deal with them. So my talent of tolerance has to do with patience mostly. Tolerance helps me, just like Miesha, to do better in school. Miesha uses her perseverance to consistently do good at school even when her family is going through trouble. She ignores the bad and tries to focus on her schoolwork. My tolerance helps me manage the things I have to do and do them effectively. I don't try to create the best environment for me to work in either. If I can't, I would tolerate that condition, and still try to do the best of my work. I was first thinking if optimism would be my talent, but I don't always think the best nor am I always in a positive/happy state. I wouldn't be happy for a certain condition (e.x: family went bankrupt..?) I am in -that is why I would be tolerant of it. Being tolerant uses the things I can't control or do and helps me learn to accept it. Perhaps, tolerance is what keeps me going.

I think Jesus's point is that talents are given for a reason. They are a gift from God and it is best to use the gift. Each person's talent is unique to them and can be used for different purposes which can be seen through the different uses of 'talents' in the story. The third man thought it was best to bury his talents but he is beaten for hiding his talent. Talents are given so each individual can exprsess themselves differently. There is no certain time for talents to be used, talents are given to be constantly expressed.

Miesha and my talent is related to this story in the sense that each of our talents make us different than per se my friends at school or the people at the mall. Everyone has our talents -you can easily find people with peseverance and tolerance. But the way Miesha and I use our talents, that may be a different story. Miesha does not hide her talent, but expresses it daily at school. Her peseveration sets her apart from many students in her gifted and talented program. Like Miesha, my tolerance for some school work perhaps sets me apart in terms of work ethics and diligence.

I guess the story can work at more than one level.
One more way I see it is that the third man was very arrogant about the way he used his talents. He thought his master would be proud. He even states, "Master you'll be most proud of me!" To only be beaten and kicked out of the house later. I think this shows that being arrogant about your talent works against you. You should be happy for the talent that God bestowed upon you, but you should not flaunt it, but be humbly thankful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment