Friday, January 8, 2010

reviews

Discussion #2

Even though I only read the first 61 pages of "And Still We Rise" I still felt the same way as the book reviewers. All the students seem so real. I feel like I met them already. I know that once I finish reading the book, I will be more into the book than I a now. I also know that what is going on in South Central is real -it doesn't sound exaggerated. Usually, I find myself questioning some things I come across reading, but I know that this is real. Corwin basically wrote a documentary. I can picture the students' lives. Everything is just so alive. Never have lived in a place like South Central, I would never know what the lives for students there would be like. Of course I've seen a glimpse in movies but just as Welch said -the book is not about gang members, but gifted students who try to succeed in a environment that discourages them so. I am excited to read more. In a way, this book motivates me to do better in school just thinking about the kids that can't even make it to classes just to make a living.

I usually don't look at reviews before I purchase a book. A lot of reviews I read sometimes are bluff or either spoilers so it ruins the book. Although it isn't the best way of judging, I always look at the cover and just glimpse over the summary on the back cover. Covers and summaries influence my purchases :) And yes I am more apt to listen to a friend who recommends because I feel that my peers and I will share the same general taste in books.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree that the book seems to motivate me more because the students at Crenshaw go through so much that it makes me feel like I have to do good because there is no excuse not to!
    I also totally feel you on the book review thing. I never read books reviews because I don't even know if that person has the same tastes as me and they usually are super critical or something and I just don't like them. I did think Welch's was pretty good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,

    Yeah, I usually am drawn to books by the cover pages and summaries. I don't have time to hunt down book reviews!

    I agree with you that Crenshaw doesn't sound exaggerated, which is unfortunate. The lives of these students ARE real and it's so heartbreaking because where we come from is nothing like that. It's good that you're motivated to do better in school now. I am the same way. I can't take my education for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace~

    I totally relate to your ways of "suspicions" of the books sometimes. It seems like somethings are true like they say because it just ain't possible. But this book is REAL and it's hard to take it in and get the full blown feeling of being in those situations but you get a touch and that hit in your heart when reading this book. It's crazy! Great Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grace(:
    Wow! I feel exactly the same! Although I didn't say it in my book review, everything you said I totally agreed with. I feel like these characters are really in my life and I KNOW them.
    I can also say that this book motivates me too(: it makes me appreciate that although it is hard, I can do the things that will benefit me with support and without having to overcome mountain-sized obstacles.
    And, I too factor in the summary and the look of the cover when I'm looking for a book. I never thought about it, but you're right. I don't often find good book reviews that give truly good input and that doesn't spoil the book.
    GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with a lot of what you said, especially the part about the characters and the stories being real...I never really thought about it before, but now that I read what you wrote, I, too, can totally picture the book as a documentary now :)

    I also don't like reading reviews for the same reason you don't: some people can be such spoilers! that's one of the reasons why I don't read reviews on Amazon.com because some people just give away the ending...

    I used to do the same thing as you when it came to choosing a book: looking at the cover...but I found that sometimes, the cover might look really pretty but the story sucks...or that the cover is really plain, but the story inside is absolutely brilliant...now I actually stand there in Borders and read the first couple of pages of the book before I decide to buy it (I really don't like wasting money, I'm that stingy, haha).

    ReplyDelete